The following is a news release from the Jefferson County Library Cooperative. The cut in funding may cause some database subscriptions, including Heritage Quest, to be canceled. Please contact them with any questions. The news release can be read on-line at: http://www.jclc.org/aboutjclc/newsreleases/20111114.aspx
November 14, 2011
I M M E D I A T E R E L E A S E
Jefferson County Library Cooperative
Jefferson County Library Cooperative Sustains Deep Funding Cuts
Birmingham, Alabama — The Jefferson County Library Cooperative is the non-profit umbrella organization that serves as the link for all 40 public libraries countywide. Local library buildings, staffing, and operations are funded at the local level. However, the services that links all city public libraries together are coordinated and funded by the Jefferson County Library Cooperative (JCLC). JCLC has been funded by the Jefferson County Commission, state aid to public libraries through the Alabama legislature, and local libraries for thirty-three (33) years, since 1978. JCLC funding was recently eliminated from the Jefferson County FY2012 budget.
The library cooperative of 40 municipal libraries last year checked out 5,524,049 books, eBooks, audiobooks, DVDs, and music. The 4,674,941 citizens who visit annually, or use online resources, have proven that the public libraries of Jefferson County are not a luxury, but a necessity.
The services funded by JCLC that benefit 40 Jefferson County public libraries include:
- Daily delivery service that transports materials from library to library guaranteeing ease of access of all library materials to citizens countywide;
- Popular online materials reservation system and online catalog;
- Access to 2 million items including new and popular materials hot off the presses;
- Internet access for 40 libraries;
- Popular databases – JCLC has already discontinued the database News Library which provided full-text articles from The Birmingham News free of charge to all county citizens. This went into effect September 1, 2011. When other database subscriptions, such as the popular genealogy database Heritage Quest, and business database Reference USA, are up for renewal in 2012, funds will not be available to continue providing these resources.
JCLC began accepting donations in 2009 when the first cuts were initiated by Jefferson County. Your help is needed as public libraries attempt to forge ahead with drastic funding cuts this year. We invite you to donate today. To donate go to www.jclc.org, or inquire at one of the 40 local Jefferson County libraries. All donations are tax exempt. For more information contact the Jefferson County Library Cooperative, 2100 Park Place, Birmingham, AL 35203.
The Jefferson County Library Cooperative (JCLC) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization composed of the 40 public libraries throughout Jefferson County. These include the 21 municipal libraries, including the 19 locations of the Birmingham Public Library System, as well as The Library at the Birmingham Botanical Gardens. The mission of JCLC is to link our member libraries to provide better, more efficient centralized services for all county residents. For more information, go to our website www.jclc.org.