From our Friends in the Southern History Department of the Birmingham Public Library:
Beyond the Basics of Genealogy
Workshop Series at the Birmingham Public Library
Beyond the Basics of Genealogy (BtB) workshops, a series of classes
covering various topics on genealogical research will be conducted in the
Birmingham Public Library (BPL) beginning in April 2013. Workshops will
run from one to two hours, and be conducted by members of the Southern
History Department staff.
Participants will gain in-depth knowledge on specialized areas of
researching genealogy. The BtB classes are designed to expand on
information provided in the “Introduction to Genealogy” classes, which are
offered throughout the year by the Southern History Department.
Registration is limited to the first 18 respondents. Classes will be held
at 10:00 a.m. in the Board Room of the Central Library.
The subjects being taught and dates are as follows:
• What’s Up Doc?: Government Documents in Genealogical Research –
Saturday, April 13th
• The Bases Are Loaded: BPL’s Catalog, Worldcat, and Other Databases –
Saturday, May 18th
• Loving the LDS: An In-Depth Guide to Using Familysearch.org – Saturday,
• Getting the Good Dirt: Using Land Records in Genealogical Research –
Saturday, July 27th
• Bring Out Your Dead: Cemeteries in Genealogical Research – Saturday,
Registration for the workshop costs $5.00, which includes the class
handout. To register, contact the Southern History Department of the
Birmingham Public Library at 205-226-3665 or askgenlocal.
Seating is limited to the first 18 to register.
Southern History Department
Birmingham Public Library